UNWRITTEN by Oliver Meech from His Book "The Plot Thickens"

Magic Friday is written by Vancouver Magician Jamie D. Grant

What The Audience Sees:

“This Jamie cat sure is funny, man. So it’s Magic Friday, right, and he comes in and says he just had a problem with his last group and that he needs me to sign something before we start. He pulls out some cards and one of them has a contract on the back saying that I’ll be good and stuff. So I sign it and he blows us away with this crazy cube trick. But then he says, “I knew you would be a good audience!” and then I said, “Well why did I have to sign the contract then?” and he replies, “I didn’t.” Well, I turned over the card and my signature was gone!!! And when he told me to pick up the pen, I couldn’t get the cap off!! It was craaaaaaaaazy!!”

How It Went:

This is one of those tricks that just helps solidify you as a magician as opposed to someone who knows some magic tricks. I mean, only a real magician has a contract on the back of his card, right? And it played out really well on Friday. The great thing about it is that it’s not really a trick in itself. It’s just a magical moment that plays out after something else you’ve done.

People laughed at the opening premise and the beginning is a great way to introduce everything. Walking into a room and saying, “Holy Smokes, you wouldn’t believe that last crowd! Here, you gotta sign this...” is a really funny bit and gets the energy going right off the top.

I did, however, leave out the pen cap not coming off bit about halfway through the day. I found that a “He switched the pen” idea might also lead to a “Then he must have switched the card too” train of thought and I wanted to leave the card as pure magic. I also didn’t want them to think I used invisible ink so I made sure they held onto the pen.

Best Lines:

”Did I sign that? I signed that didn’t I?!?!”

-It’s always amazing to see someone doubt themselves..

”Get outta here, LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL!!!!

-It’s a really fun bit.

Angry Bob Rating:

For those of you reading this article for the first time, Angry Bob is a co-worker who has an understanding of some magic because his uncle was a magician. Angry Bob knows that TT’s exist, for example, but he has no desire to become a magician himself. He also has an anger management problem that can be experienced first hand if he can’t figure out how a trick is done. A high rating means he has no idea.

“Where’s the ^#&&#^ **#&&#**#?”

-Okay, so it wasn’t an Angry Bob fooler. But it fooled everyone else. And I don’t think he caught the %#^(*&. He just knew something had happened. 2/5.

My Rating:

Did this change people’s lives? Probably not. But it sure brought some fun into them. I don’t know, I liked it. Let’s say, 8.5/10. If for nothing else than the premise and idea, which I thought was great. And it leaves your card on the table, which is always nice.

The JDG Tip:

I think my reasoning for leaving the pen back bit out is valid and I was happier with how it went. I just didn’t like the challenge it presented and really wanted them to keep the pen. Maybe getting something printed on the pen is a good idea as well. That way, they could keep the pen and the card.

Closing Thoughts:

I’ve heard the phrase “This book will inspire you!” many times but it really rings true here. Oliver has some crazy unique thinking that gets you thinking outside of the box. I don’t normally review an entire book but I would have to say that I enjoyed reading this when looking for an effect for Friday. Great work Oliver! And excellent crediting, as well. That was a pleasant surprise!

Have a great week, everyone!

Jamie D. Grant
www.whatizit.net
______________________________________________________________

No comments:

Please Visit:

Search This Blog

Followers

Thanks for stopping by!