2 Card Monte from Don Driver's Svengali PITCH DVD/ Ripley's Believe It Or Not PART I


What The Audience Sees:

'This week Jamie showed us 2 cards- an Ace of Spades and a 4 of Hearts. He put the Ace behind his back, keeping the 4 in view and asked us which one he was holding in sight. The 4, obviously! But he then brought the 4 from behind his back!'

How It Went:

Well, this was the absolute craziest Magic Friday I've ever had. I was going to review Don Driver's Svengali Pitch but my day completely exploded. On Thursday, it was announced that one of my bottles is a finalist in a Ripley's Believe It Or Not contest! So before I go any further, I would like to take this time to ask/beg you to go to Ripley's and vote right now for my bottle. NOT the 2 headed kitten (veeeeeery common as I've had dozens of these myself), or the guy jumping over cars (again, veeeeeeeery common-this is how my neighbour goes to work every day.). I'm also told you may be able to vote every day so please check again tomorrow at Ripley's.

Okay, so Friday was a complete Gong Show. I was completely inundated with phone calls, e-mails, carrier pigeons, etc. and I simply didn't have time to do my pitch. Instead I quickly went through the old 2 Card Monte a few times that I'm sure all of us know. Don's DVD supplies printed instructions to the routine and are excellent if you ever plan on using this as a give away.

Which brings me to my next comment which is...

Even though I didn't exactly carry through with the pitch on Friday and therefore can't give you a Magic Friday review for it, I'm going to ask you to trust me that this is a very worthwhile DVD to purchase. If you've ever thought about the Pitch, then Don is the guy to listen to. Period.

Best Lines:

"OMG! YOU DID IT! YOU DID IT!"- this is what my wife told me when she found out my nomination. It's funny, I know some people are probably thinking, 'What the heck-it's Ripley's-big deal' so I think this is a good time to talk about goals, dreams, and focus.

I'll start off by saying never let anyone tell you if your goals are or are not worthwhile. If it's your dream to make it on to the cover of your local paper pulling a rabbit out of a hat then live that dream. Make that achievement, if it happens, your Academy Award. Be proud of that accomplishment- don't shy away from it. Put all your focus into making it happen and then do your most to make it happen!

I've seen a lot of people miss their mark, not because they couldn't achieve their goal, but because they simply stopped trying. And a reason for many is that they didn't have the support they needed. I can't tell you the number of actors, musicians, magicians, etc. I know that didn't realize their goals because someone told them they didn't think they could do it or that it wasn't worth it. If you tell me you want to spend the next ten years devoting your life to learning Flight Of The Bumblebees on the kazoo then who the heck am I to say it means nothing? Learn it, be proud of it, and do it. If we all wanted to be on TV and that was all that mattered, the world would be a pretty boring place, in my opinion. Accomplishment's are yours and yours alone. Fooling someone with a DL can be as important and life changing as getting your own show.

Okay, luckily, I have the opposite in my life. I seem to have no shortage of wonderful, wonderful, people around me that support my most craziest of ideas. The most important of these people being my wife, who even though will probably never read this post in her lifetime, I would like to say "Thanx!" to anyway. I'm truly blessed.

I'm also blessed with the greatest friends and associates on Earth-some of whom come from this very board. True friends are people that, amongst a million other things, know when something is important to you. These people have made my life what it is today and you can be rest assured that I'll do everything in my power to help every single one of them achieve whatever it is they want from life.

Angry Bob Rating:

'You're kidding...'- in response to Ripley's where you all, hopefully, just voted.

My Rating:

Well, as far as 2 Card Monte goes I'll give it a 7/10 even though I don't think I've even mentioned it in this review about it. Don's DVD, I would like to state again, however, is the word on Pitching. I would also say that don't let the lack of slick production fool you- this comes from that term we all know and love, a worker.

The JDG Tip:

Surround yourself with positive people. It doesn't matter if they're crazy famous or your neighbour down the hall (I've got both). Life is too short to deal with negativity. And make no mistake, crazy famous people will be as totally pumped about your rabbit out of a hat article as your neighbour, if they're a positive person. And that's what you're looking for. People that will look you in the eye and say, "Wow, good job man." whoever that may be.

Closing Thoughts:

That was probably the worst product review ever written. I guess you can always go back and read about Prohibion, Hundy, ACAAN, Sankey, Osterlind, NFW, Invisible Decks, etc. and all the rest. AFTER you go to Ripley's and vote daily.

HAVE A GREAT WEEK VOTING EVERYONE!

Jamie D. Grant
Vancouver Magician
visit: www.whatizit.net

p.s Thank You for the inspiration Harry Eng.
______________________________________________________________

No comments:

Please Visit:

Search This Blog

Followers

Thanks for stopping by!