Dr. Harlan Tarbell's THE PASSE-PASSE SALT from The Tarbell Course In Magic, Vol.1


What The Audience Sees:

'Today Jamie told us he was going to do a very old trick that magicians used to do with salt, except Jamie used sugar (from a packet). He poured the sugar into his left fist and, with his hands two feet apart, told us that he was going to try and make it magically go to his right one. Well, the sugar disappeared from his left fist and started coming out of his right one, just like he said! Magic!'

How It Went:

I've received a couple of PM's recently asking me to do an old trick or two. Well, always eager to please, I pulled Tarbell off the shelf and flipped to page 129. I wondered if magic published in 1927 was still relevant today. Actually, I knew it was, but today just proved a point. After 80 years, have people discovered the secrets? Not yet.

I'm sure most of you reading this have also performed it so you already know that it kills people. Everyone today was floored. I was worried people might get whiplash when I opened my left fist. They turned their heads so fast to look at my right one that you'd think we were at Wimbledon.

Angry Bob Rating:

I have a co-worker (Bob) whose uncle was a magician and thereby has a good working knowledge of how magic works. He's pretty grumpy but likes Magic Friday's because he can tell me how he figured out how the effect is done... A high rating means he'll never figure it out.

Do magicians know how this is done? Obviously. Do lay people? Not a chance. Does Angry Bob? Apparently."Hey! I do that one, you $@%#@%!" 0/5.

As a side note, everyone wanted to look at the sugar packet...?...

My Rating:

8.5/10 In a walk around environment I'm really not too keen on having a pocket full of sugar. Other than that, people Loved it.

The JDG Tip:

I instinctively wanted to make the sugar vanish as well, but I held off. I think if I had, the trick would have become too perfect. Making something disappear and appear somewhere else is a little more believable than having something disappear entirely. I believe people would think, "It has to have gone somewhere..." and I didn't want anyone asking themselves questions. Just making the sugar leave the left fist and arrive in the right offered the right amount of closure. Besides, Tarbell must have had his reasons for not making it vanish or he would have told us to do so. :)

Closing Thoughts:

Well, Tarbell stepped off the shelf and laid the smack down. No big surprise, really. But it's good to see that the Heavyweight Champ's still got it...

HAVE A GREAT WEKEND EVERYONE!

Jamie D. Grant

______________________________________________________________

No comments:

Please Visit:

Search This Blog

Followers

Thanks for stopping by!