FLOW by Dan Hauss


What The Audience Sees:

"Okay, check this out baby. Jamie comes into our office, right? And he's carrying a cocktail shaker (probably to pull an elephant out of) and some bottled water. He takes the cap off the water and asks me to put my palm on top of it. He then places the cocktail shaker beneath my hand "to catch the little bit of water that'll come out" because we're going to turn my hand over. Sure enough, I do, and a little water comes out, but not much because I've got my hand sealed on this %^@$#^**!*& so tight! He's not getting anything in here!!! But then he asks me to take my hand away?! And I do! And the water stayed inside the bottle, man!!! I screamed like a little girl! My co-workers were screaming like me! It was nuts! Then, when he waved his hand, or sold his soul or whatever, I squeezed the bottle and all the water came out! How?!"

How It Went:

Awesome! I only wish I could have had done it more times! I did it a total of only eight times, because of time/prep, but it killed everyone. The great thing about this is that everyone has, at one time or another, spilled or dumped water from a water bottle. Also, even though I used a cocktail shaker to catch the water, there was fantastic amount of suspense in this trick- Are we actually going to dump water all over this desk?

People loved it and were totally astounded. I think I may start using this as a "One off" as my first effect for when I do a corporate party. I always meet whoever hires me, before the guests arrive, and this would be perfect to show this person. Come in, suit and tie, carrying nothing but a water bottle, reintroduce myself, show them Flow, blow their minds, and then rock the party- works for me!

Angry Bob Rating:

For those of you reading this article for the first time, Angry Bob is a co-worker who has an understanding of some magic because his uncle was a magician. Angry Bob knows that TT’s exist, for example, but he has no desire to become a magician himself. He also has an anger management problem that can be experienced first hand if he can’t figure out how a trick is done. A high rating means he has no idea.

Dan, I have no idea if you'll ever read this review, but, if you do, let me personally offer you my thanks! It's rare when Angry Bob is silenced and left with a slightly wet hand (which he proceeded to rub on me). But it was awesome. Not one word. Nothing. No donkeys or murder were mentioned, just silence. So 5/5.

Oh, I have to admit I almost asked him if he wanted a drink (after the effect).

My Rating:

I love this effect. I think it's practical, relates to everyone, and has a clear beginning, middle, and end. The only thing that I wish for is instant reset because of the kind of work I do. So, for me, it's a 9.0/10. However there is something to be said for the fact that they can examine the water bottle after (awesome) so let's make it 9.5/10. And you know what, the "Teaching Hannah" section (wherein Dan teaches someone how to do the effect) is such a great idea that we might as well bump it up to a perfect 10/10! Great work!

The JDG Tip:

The only thing I can suggest is, if doing it inside, to use a container that isn't a drink cup. By using the cocktail shaker, it makes sense that I have to go to a washroom to dump out the water. If I had simply a larger drink cup, the idea would be that I could stand there and drink. Not what we want.

Closing Thoughts:

It's great to be surprised. I go through a lot of stuff looking for effects that I know will play well, so it's always a pleasure to come across something that is clear, well-taught, and that I know will kill. And the "Teaching Hannah" portion was a true stroke of genius. Good times.

HAVE A GREAT WEEK!

Jamie D. Grant
Vancouver Magician
www.jamiedgrant.com

______________________________________________________________

No comments:

Please Visit:

Search This Blog

Followers

Thanks for stopping by!