Jay Sankey's DIRECTOR'S CUT from his "Best Magic with Ordinary Objects" Dvd


What The Audience Sees:

"Today was awesome! Jamie came in and was holding this envelope with three things in it- a pair of scissors, a strip of paper with words printed vertically down it, and something else that he wouldn't show us, yet. Big Ted asked if it was a midget. Oh, Big Ted. Anyways, he showed us that the words on the strip of paper were everyday objects (knife, spoon, clock, plate, etc.) and then he turned the paper around. He took the scissors and started to run them down the side of the paper and asked to me to say "Cut!" whenever I wanted. He said he was going to go super slowly so that I could ask him to cut absolutely anywhere on the paper. Well, I said "Cut" and he did, and it was right through a word. He then reaches into the envelope and pulls out the object, that I had stopped him at, out of the envelope! And it was cut in half! It was nuts!!! Big Ted pulled out his asthma inhaler faster than a wild west six shooter, he was so amazed!"

How It Went:

I did this trick a number of years ago and I seem to remember it played really well but, after Friday, I think I have to upgrade my opinion as it played extremely well. I think that may have to do with Jay's idea of actually pulling the object out of the envelope. It was so much stronger than just having the word written down, as I used to do it. It's just a super cool moment to pull the object (cut in half) out of the envelope- people went nuts!

The other great thing about this routine is that there is no reset. I just had fifty strips of paper and rocked it out all day long. I think if I was going to do this at a gig, I could just keep ten small objects in one of my pockets and take it from there. It's also a great visual standing effect. No one's crowded around with heads down in card watching prayer position as everything is really up and open. Fantastic.

Best Lines:

"Put that back in there!! You did not take that out of there!!!!"
-Lol, toooo funny.

"OMG! GIVE ME THAT!"
-They took the envelope but it was empty.

Angry Bob Rating:

For those of you reading this article for the first time, Angry Bob is a co-worker who has an understanding of some magic because his uncle was a magician. Angry Bob knows that TT’s exist, for example, but he has no desire to become a magician himself. He also has an anger management problem that can be experienced first hand if he can’t figure out how a trick is done. A high rating means he has no idea.

I thought for sure that I was dead in the water but to my absolute joy, he didn't have a clue! Hurrah!

"Hmmmm. Too bad you won't be needing that object! HA HA!"
-You'll have to watch the Dvd to know what he was talking about. Still, he didn't have a clue apparently. 5/5.

My Rating:

Great trick, great day. The only downside is that you have to bring scissors with you. Hmmmm, I wonder if I could get the lists perforated so I wouldn't have to cut... 9/10.

The JDG Tip:

Okay, when cutting out you list, do not cut through anything just yet. Simply cut out the list. Now, wrap it around as if you were making a big paper ring and line up the top and the bottom of your list perfectly onto one another (you can hold it up to the light). Now cut. They will match perfectly later on.

Closing Thoughts:

Some old magic revisited. I like it and, more importantly, will actually use it. Great work Jay!

HAVE A GREAT WEEK EVERYONE!

Jamie D. Grant
Vancouver Magician
http://www.jamiedgrant.com
____________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Please Visit:

Search This Blog

Followers

Thanks for stopping by!