Jeremy Hanrahan's UNTOUCHABLE


What The Audience Sees:

"Today Jamie walked into our office and blew our minds! We were all excited about Magic Friday but he said he totally forgot. He was holding a water bottle though, not like a cycling water bottle but a bottle of water like Dasani, you know what I mean. Anyways, he looks for some change and pulls out a dime, right. Well, he actually made the dime magically appear inside the bottle! And not through the top because he hadn't even opened it yet- the dime went through the side of the bottle somehow- and it was still sealed, I swear! Incredible!"

How It Went:

Friday went rather well. I'm not sure what it was, but Untouchable really had a truly impromtu feel about it. It's hard to explain but, unlike a lot of "spur of the moment" magic, this trick really did come across as if I didn't have anything prepared but just happened to perform this miraculous feat. And the MF crowd really liked it. The benefit I had was that I could go from place to place and never have to crack open the bottle (you could tell it was unbroken by looking at it) because it's a different audience for me each time.

It is a bit of a trade off, however, of using a coin that could fit through the top of the bottle (even though we know it goes in magically) as opposed to the traditional larger coin method. That said, though, you can leave the Untouchable bottle with your audience and they'd never have a clue as to how you did it. Just an interesting thought.

The passing of the dime through the side looks amazing though, and it's a real magical moment which is achieved by a brilliant method. I'll say that I'm happy I'm Canadian although I'm sure our friends down south should be able to do this trick easy enough. I should mention here that Untouchable can be found on the DVD Impervious which offers a different method for executing this effect which is also quite good.

Best Lines:

"Give that to me right now!" -you've never seen a person reach for a bottle of water so fast, lol.

"It's not in there! It's not...OMG!!!!" -it really is hard to believe but, make no mistake, the dime is in the sealed bottle.

Angry Bob Rating:

For those of you reading this article for the first time, Angry Bob is a co-worker who has an understanding of some magic because his uncle was a magician. Angry Bob knows that TT’s exist, for example, but he has no desire to become a magician himself. He also has an anger management problem that can be experienced first hand if he can’t figure out how a trick is done. A high rating means he has no idea.

5/5. Man, it was priceless! The thing about Untouchable that makes it such a trick of pure beauty is the display at the beginning. When you look at the bottle, there is nothing inside. Angry Bob was absolutely silenced- a rare thing.

My Rating:

I'm a bit torn about this. I want to give this the highest marks there are but I just don't see myself performing this at a walk around gig. Even though I could reset the trick easily enough, there would be the dilemma of cracking the seal (which I would only be able to do once). And if I didn't, people might talk about how I got the dime back out...Hmmmmm, as I'm writing this, I'm wondering if that's actually a problem. Perhaps people would think I could remove it magically as well. Regardless, if I was to perform a trick at a meeting, this is the one I'd do off the bat. Carrying a water bottle is totally acceptable and it has the added bonus of almost everyone in the world having held one, and opened it, at one time in their lives. Lt's say 9.5/10.

The JDG Tip:

This one's easy- do a double check before you start! Twice I was in an elevator heading up and would realize I need to reset. If it's set properly, it'll stay ready to go no problem, just take a second and make sure.

Closing Thoughts:

Jeremy's method is absolutely ingenious and is worth the price of Impervious alone. Whether you ever perform it or not, it gives yo some insight into an obviously talented mind.

Anything Is Possible,

Jamie D. Grant
Vancouver Magician
visit: www.whatizit.net

______________________________________________________________

No comments:

Please Visit:

Search This Blog

Followers

Thanks for stopping by!