David Ben's EXTENSION OF CREDIT from his book TRICKS


The Effect:

The performer pulls out three credit cards and makes one visibly grow longer.

How It Went:

I picked this particular effect this week precisely because I thought it wouldn't go over that well. Looking over the Magic Friday reviews, I haven't really given any effects less than a 3/5 and was starting to worry that people might think I'm too leniant. I guess I'm just lucky picking my effects because this one isn't getting bad marks either.

Much to my suprise, people loved it. I personally think that this trick is a really 'neat illusion'. One of those tricks that I really like but most people go 'Neat.' But I had people going, 'No Way!' when I made the card start to extend. Perhaps I'm just better than I give myself credit for.

Best Line:

'Get outta here. GET OUTTA HERE!' I had to stop for a second and analyze whether this person was being serious. I almost said,'The card only looks like it's extending-I'm not performing freaking cut and restored arm or something.' They were being serious, however, so I quickly went back to my Magic Pose.

Angry Bob Rating:
I have a co-worker (Bob) whose uncle was a magician and thereby has a good working knowledge of how magic works. He's pretty grumpy but likes Magic Friday's because he can tell me how he figured out how it was done...

Angry Bob was really grumpy today so I'll give it a 6/5. Especially since I put the cards away immediately.
'Hey! Let me see those cards!'
"Uh...no."
'I wanna' see 'em!'
"Dude, they're my credit cards. You'll probably memorize the number and I'll get a bill from Donna's House of Breasts Phone Line and Steakhouse. Forget it."
'%$^%$$^!'
"Hey, what are you doing this weekend?"
'Go take a %@$#@ and $@%!%^@ with a !#$%#! and 1!#!^%! the !%$@^!&.'
"That sounds cool..."

My Rating:

4/5. What can I say? Most everyone loved it. I had a couple people ask to see the cards but I was able to put twists on my 'You just want to memorize my number,' line and it would get laughs. Highly entertaining.

The JDG Tip:

Use Gift Cards. I used a Starbucks one and it worked perfectly-no damaging credit cards. And if I perform this at an important show, I can give the Gift Card away.

Closing Thoughts:

Never try to guess what the public likes. Show them everything, though not at once, mind you. You never know what might turn you into a legend.

'Dude! He took his credit card, right?!! And he turned into like $%%$^# 4 feet long! I mean !$!^$!! It must have strectched across the highway! And then the $^$&%! thing levitated in front of my face and started to %&%%&%!&% fly!! Do you hear what I'm saying to you, man! And then these doves starting flying all over the sky, dude!This guy rocks!!!'

Sure, I'll take it.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

______________________________________________________________

No comments:

Please Visit:

Search This Blog

Followers

Thanks for stopping by!