Jay Sankey's FAN MAIL/Koslowski's $100 BILL SWITCH


The Effect:

The spectator's and the magicians autographs switch places.

How It Went:
It's magic requested that I perform a bill change for a Magic Friday and I happily performed this one, which is one of my favourites.

I really love this effect. I have to say that if I am ever going out and think that there is the slimmest chance that I might be asked to perform then I will be sure that I am ready to perform Koslowski's bill change. It truly is a magical piece and I have found that it plays so well with lay people. What I like about FAN MAIL is that it kind of takes the efeect a step further and turns it into more of a 'piece.' If I was approached on the street and was asked to do some magic, I probably wouldn't suggest, "let's change signatures..." but if I'm in a walk around magic setting where I am the performer then FAN MAIL is the way I perform the switch.

So with that in mind I performed this around 40 times and had consistantly fantastic results. Come to think of it, I don't think I had even 1 negative or not so good reaction. Everyone loved it. What's especially nice about changing signatures instead of money is that, in the end, I end up with the spectators signature in my hand and I'm able to say, "Thank you, let's give a big round of applause to Suzie! Yeeeah!"

Best Line:

"He's GOOD, right?!"

Whenever anyone ever adds, 'right?' to the end of a compliment, I know I have fried them. It says, to me, that they have mentally processed what has happened and have no idea how it works. In order to confirm that they're not an idiot, they will always address their friends to confirm that I am so good that no one knows how it could be done. Everyone will always reply, "Totally!" or some other confirmation. Pay attention to all the, "rights?!" you get-it means a job well done!
Angry Bob Rating:

I have a co-worker (Bob) whose uncle was a magician and thereby has a good working knowledge of how magic works. He's pretty grumpy but likes Magic Friday's because he can tell me how he figured out how it was done...

About a 3/5. Anyone with a magical history will have an idea of how it's done-there's only so many ways that something in the hands can completely disappear- but I don't think he's going to go out and start transforming bills on the spot. As long as you're diligent, you'll never get caught.

My Rating:

5/5
. This is one of my standards. I was going to knock .5 of a point off it because I don't walk around with blank paper but since you can easily use bills instead, I figure 5/5. I didn't learn the switch from Sankey, originally, I actually learned it from a Roger Klause book. So no matter where you learn it-learn it. You won't regret putting in the time.

The JDG Tip:

Jay recommends using Tyvec as the paper but I found it a bit slippery. I sprayed the back of about 20 pieces with roughing spray but it didn't really help that much. Maybe lick your thump, hopefully unnoticed, before you begin.
Closing Thoughts:

HERE'S HOW I GET IN TO IT-

"Suzie, you look really familiar to me...what's your last name? Oh Smith? Of course! Suzie Smith! I have your 'Suzie Smith and Friends Sing Puff the Magic Dragon' CD at home! My wife and I listen to it every night before bed. I love the Dutch falsetto part. It's awesome! Can I have your signature..."

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

______________________________________________________________

No comments:

Please Visit:

Search This Blog

Followers

Thanks for stopping by!