A CHRISTMAS CAROL BOOK TEST by Josh Zandman


What The Audience Sees:

"This week was nuts! Jamie came in reading this book, I think it was Dicken's 'A Christmas Carol', you know the one with Scrooge and the kid with the crutch. Anyways, he starts flipping through it and asks me to say 'Stop.' which I did. Now he's holding the book up to my face, right. I mean there's no way he can see what I'm looking at. No way. But he asks me to think of a word and then he straight up reads my mind!"

How It Went:

I have to say up front that one thing that is a real plus about having your own column is you're given a unique opportunity to help your friends out. Here's the thing, though. None of my friends apparently need my help, lol. This is especially true with the Christmas Book Test. It destroyed. No kidding. But the most amazing thing about this book test is that I was completely confident in handing it out. And make no mistake, everyone asked to see the book. I don't know if that says something against my mentalism performance (I always say that my dimples work against me) but almost every single group asked to see the book. To which I replied, "Knock yourself out."

Best Lines:

'No waaaay. Dude. You just entered my head!' -No keys, either.

'What did you just say? WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY? HOW'D YOU KNOW THAT?!'-It's a gift, really.

Angry Bob Rating:

I have a co-worker (Bob) whose uncle was a magician and thereby has a good working knowledge of how magic works. He's pretty grumpy but likes Magic Friday's because he can tell me how he figured out how the effect is done... A high rating means he'll never figure it out.

'Give me that book, %#$$&^ ^#^&*&&*(@!... ... ... ... ...' - Lol, he just put the book down on the table, got up, and left. Toooooooo funny. 5/5.

My Rating:

Friends or not, this effect is getting a 10/10. I've even started taking this book with me wherever I go. And talk about a conversation starter. I can't wait until summer when people start asking me why I'm reading A Christmas Carol when it's nowhere near Christmas.

The JDG Tip:

By the end of the day, I would write down their thought of word on a Post-It Note and turn it upside down. I would then suggest that I had written down something else, "Were you thinking of a proper name? Like Tiny Tim?" to which they would say, 'No!'. "Oh, really? Well, what word were you thinking of then? It's okay, I already wrote down what I thought it was." And they would tell me their word. I would then start walking towards the door and say, "Turn over the Post-It Note." You wouldn't believe the reactions. People were running out the door after me. It was crazy.

Closing Thoughts:

As you can tell, I really love this book. One thing in particular I like is that it's around 125 pages, so it's not a massive tome. It's completely plausible that I'd be carrying this book around with me and reading bits whenever I got a chance. If this was War and Peace, I don't think it would have been half as believable. Well done guys!

HAVE A GREAT WEEK!

Jamie D. Grant
Vancouver Magician
visit: www.whatizit.net

______________________________________________________________

No comments:

Please Visit:

Search This Blog

Followers

Thanks for stopping by!