Gordon Bean's ENTOURAGE


What The Audience Sees:

“This Friday was super cool. Jamie came around and showed us these six cards, right. He had four face down Queens between two face up Jokers. He asked three of us to touch any one of the face down Queens- and we could touch anyone we wanted, totally- and he placed the ones we touched aside. Now that there was only one Queen left, he asked me which one I thought it was; the Queen of Hearts, Diamonds, Spades, or Clubs. I had no idea, right, so I just said “Clubs” for whatever reason. And, check this out, when he turned it over- it was the Queen of Clubs- crazy! But wait! Remember I told you he placed the three queens we touched aside? Well he turned those over and they were actually all Jokers! All of our heads exploded at once- it was nuts!”

How It Went:

If you’ve read this column before (and I do apologize for such an extended leave of absence- I’m going to try and write more often here whenever I’m able) then you’ll know that I love packet tricks and, apparently, the Magic Friday crowds do as well. Entourage seemed to hit people on a few different levels. Some people thought that, at the end, I had magically turned the remaining Queens into Jokers whereas others felt that I somehow knew which Queen would be left all along. And they had no idea how I could do that. Combine that with also knowing which Queen they’d pick and you’ve destroyed them. Or rather, Gordon Bean destroyed them, vicariously through me.

Overall, it went extremely well and I mixed it up through the day. Sometimes I’d emphasize the Queen revelation and other times I’d focus on the Jokers. What was interesting was that whatever I subtly influenced as the most magical partbecame the most magical part. After it was done, for example, I’d say, “There was no way for me to know which Queen you’d choose…” then that was what they’d focus on, replying: “How did you know which Queen?!” whereas if I focused on the Joker ending then they became more fascinated by how I knew what they’d touch. Two different magical abilities (knowing their thoughts versus knowing their actions) that played super strong together. A great effect.

Best Lines:

“Nooooooo! No No No! Noooooooo!” – It always make me laugh when people are at a literal lost for words. I think this guy is still rocking back and forth lightly mumbling to himself.

“You Sir, are a demon.” – This was said with a very proper English accent which made it all the better for some reason.

Angry Bob Rating:

For those of you reading this article for the first time, Angry Bob is a co-worker who has an understanding of some magic because his uncle was a magician. Angry Bob knows that TT’s exist, for example, but he has no desire to become a magician himself. He also has an anger management problem that can be experienced first hand if he can’t figure out how a trick is done. A high rating means he has no idea.

“Hey %^@%. Your mother can go %@^@ some @^&^@^. That trick was @$^% stupid…Show me again ^%@.” -Lol, I think a 4/5 would be appropriate.

My Rating:

Since I almost perform exclusively in standing environments, anything that can be done on my feet and that doesn’t require a table is worth its weight in gold. Combine that with it being legitimately instantly resettable and we have a near perfect trick. The only flaw I could find is that a couple of the cards can’t be examined (even though I never had one person ask to see them, now that I think about it) but don’t let that, in any way, throw you off this wonderful effect.9.5/10.

The JDG Tip:

I felt that it was very important to emphasize the touching of the cards, as that part of the effect (knowing what cards they would touch) can easily be lost to either the knowledge of the remaining Queen's suit or the transformation (as some people saw it) of the Jokers. I really wanted people to come away thinking that I knew every aspect of their actions and thoughts before I ever entered the room. All it took was for me to say, “And don’t forget, you touched any of the cards you wanted…” for them to be reminded of that fact.

Closing Thoughts:

Overall a great trick and is one that I’ll actually use in walkaround gigs. I might even keep it in my wallet as well, I liked it so much. Great work Gordon!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Jamie D. Grant
Vancouver Magician
visit: www.whatizit.net

______________________________________________________________

No comments:

Please Visit:

Search This Blog

Followers

Thanks for stopping by!