Max Maven's POSITIVE/NEGATIVE (?)


Note:

I actually have no idea if the routine I do is Max's but from reading a thread I contributed to almost 2 years ago, it would appear so. If anyone can read the following Magic Friday and fill me in on who to accurately credit this effect to, then I wil do so. The original thread is here!

What The Audience Sees:

'The performer asked me to pick an imaginary coin from his hand- either a penny, nickel, or dime. I did and then he asked me whether it was heads or tails. Once I told him, he opened his other hand and my coin was there!'

How It Went:

This is one of my 'Signature Effects', meaning that I perform this daily. I performed this on Magic Friday and some of the people had seen it before so I made sure that I used a different prediction than my usual and would perform it for a co-worker that hadn't seen it yet. As always, it plays extremely well. Unlike some of the postings in the thread I mentioned above, I never have any problems once I reveal the prediction. If anyone ever says, "Everyone must always pick the _______." I simply say, 'Not really, but You did. And you can keep it for Good Luck.'

Best Lines:

This isn't a "That's Amazing!" effect. It's more a "How could he have known?" effect.

"Whaaaaaaaaaat?!"
"No way..."
"Get outta' here!"

Angry Bob Rating:

I have a co-worker (Bob) whose uncle was a magician and thereby has a good working knowledge of how magic works. He's pretty grumpy but likes Magic Friday's because he can tell me how he figured out how the effect is done...

2/5. Angry Bob has seen this a couple of times and has figured it out by now. That said, this effect is all in how you play it. I definitely put a more serious lean on it, and if it is presented to someone once, they won't be Sure that you didn't know in advance what they would pick. Even by mixing up the prediction on Friday, I was able to eliminate the possibilties that someone may have come up with.

My Rating:

4.5/5. A coin in your pocket and a miracle in your hands. Well, maybe not a miracle, but at least something that will immediately establish you as a Magician as opposed to a Trickster.

The JDG Tip:

The 'X' on the coin is crucial and I think my thoughts on it, that I posted in the thread above, still hold true today. Get 50 posts and check it out.

Closing Thoughts:

I think that this effect does require some serious Audience Management skills. People will try all sorts of things- from picking up a coin that isn't there to not telling you what they picked- so make sure you can handle these situations before you present this to a group. Don't be intimidated, though, practice makes perfect!

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

______________________________________________________________

No comments:

Please Visit:

Search This Blog

Followers

Thanks for stopping by!