Paul Potassy's NEWSPAPER TEAR from his book.


What The Audience Sees:

'This week Jamie showed us the front page of his favourite newspaper, which he proceeded to rip up. He then folded the ripped pieces into a square and when he unfolded them, the newspaper was whole again! He then told us how he did it!
He took out two more front pages and folded one of them into a small packet and hid it in his hand. He then ripped up the second page and folded it (like he did the first time) as well, but now he showed us how he switched it with the hidden one, so that the torn pieces were now in his hand and the 'torn' newspaper was able to be restored- which he proceeded to do. But then, get this, he RESTORED THE TORN PIECES THAT WERE IN HIS HAND! Amazing!'

How It Went:

Well, I think this was my very first Stage Magic Friday. A brand new endeavour for me since I only perform (at the moment) Walk Around Magic whenever I'm working. After today, however, I might just switch. This was a bit of a longer routine and different than my usual fare because A) it's not examinable and, B) it doesn't reset. I spent hours last night preparing newspapers for today but it was well worth it. It just had more of a grandiose feel to it...

Best Lines:
'THAT WAS THE SHIZZY!' 'NOOOO! YEEEEEEEEEEEAH!' 'Get him OUATTA' HERE!'

Angry Bob Rating:

I have a co-worker (Bob) whose uncle was a magician and thereby has a good working knowledge of how magic works. He's pretty grumpy but likes Magic Friday's because he can tell me how he figured out how the effect is done... A high rating means he'll never figure it out.

Angry Bob wasn't around today so I'm going to guess a 2.5. Like a lot of effects, your magic friends will know the principle behind it, but won't be able to go out and perform it later.

My Rating:

If I want to stay true to my Magic Friday roots then I'll have to give this a 7/10 because of it's unexaminability and nonresetabiliteness (I just made those words up). But boy, everyone sure loved it. Great reactions every time. Maybe I could perform this at the end of a gig for the host, or for the VIP group. If I do that, then 9/10. I guess it would still lose a point because I wouldn't be able to let them grab the sheets if they wanted. This routine was designed for the stage and that's where it could be played out to its full 10/10 potential. That said, the newspapers are extremely easy to prepare, once you get used to it, and there is zero external apparatus- a definite plus in my books.

The JDG Tip:

When I'm 'demonstrating how I do it' I keep the packet in my hand neatly folded but after I've 'switched' packets I crush it into my hand. If you perform this you'll understand what I mean.
Closing Thoughts:

Today was a good time. I knew it was going to be a bit slower at work so I was able to branch out a bit. I performed this only 10 times but it was fun to do something a bit bigger. Something for me to think about- Look out Copperfield and...
HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE!

Jamie D. Grant
www.whatizit.net

______________________________________________________________

No comments:

Please Visit:

Search This Blog

Followers

Thanks for stopping by!