Richard Sanders' FIBER OPTICS


What The Audience Sees:

'This week Jamie showed us a single rope that somehow ended up turning into two pieces before being restored back into one. Then, the ends came off and the rope was a loop with no ends at all! He then threw the ends back on, took the middle out, and as a grand finale, the ends switched places in his pocket!'

How It Went:

Awesome. I don't usually perform what I call "Majors" for Magic Fridays but I made an exception today because it was a client's last day. "Majors" are tricks that I'll perform when I'm working a Walk Around gig and they're generally my big tricks- something I'll end a set with. They're usually a little bit longer and more involved and always go over well- my Chop Cup is another "Major" example. I, for the most part, perform tricks on Magic Friday that I'd be able to do if someone stopped me on the street, recognized me, and asked to see something. So today was special.

Needless to say, people loved it. It's a fantastic routine with lots of options to switch things around to your own tastes. I went to a particular client twice today and, the second time around, I asked them what they had thought of the rope routine and they said it was the best Magic Friday yet.

Best Lines:

'That was absolutely seamless.' Very appropriate comment for a rope trick! 'Wow, that was Good!' 'Crazy, crazy,crazy!'

Angry Bob Rating:

'Huh. Good trick...Really good actually.' I would have to say 2.5/5. I'm pretty sure Angry Bob knows how the routine's accomplished but he didn't come out and say so. I don't think any spectator would ever know and, to be honest, it looks so good, they shouldn't care.
My Rating:
Since this is one of my Majors, it's a 10/10 but in the context of Magic Friday, which I like to be impromptu, I'll have to say 9/10. I'll go out tomorrow with the rope in my pocket and see if I can segue into it somehow: "Hi! I'm fine, thanx. Yeah, the magic's going really well. Great Scot! There seems to be a rope in my pocket, check this out..."

The JDG Tip:

I like to keep the short piece a little on the short side- it just seems to work better for me. Experiment, and then write down the lengths you like so your rope will be the same every time.

Closing Thoughts:

Speaking of writing things down...Take a sec and jot down what your Majors are. If it takes more than a second or two then you might want to think about trimming your list down a bit. I think I could spend the rest of my professional life performing just my chop cup and this rope trick... Okay, maybe not. But it's something to think about.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE!

Jamie D. Grant

______________________________________________________________

1 comment:

Matthew J said...

funny thing is my majors are:
Fiber Optics
Banded
Get Sharky
and any of the effects I can do with a normal deck of cards.

Please Visit:

Search This Blog

Followers

Thanks for stopping by!